NZW37 Quick Setup
**Please note: as of 11/27/16, SmartThings has updated their app and the videos below are out of date — please follow the written instructions next to the videos (those are up to date) while we update our videos. Sorry for the inconvenience**
Step by Step Instructions
(For SmartThings Users)
– Step 1 –
Gather Your Materials & Find an Appropriate Outlet
- Grounded Outlet
- Cell Phone or Computer to sync your device
- Z-Wave enabled HUB/Gateway
Locate an indoor outlet which is grounded and within the recommended distance (less than 100ft) from your Z-Wave Hub/Gateway.
Walls, furniture, and other obstructions may affect the communication between the Plug-In Module and your Hub/Gateway, so please keep this in mind when selecting our location.
Note: Currently, we only have full videos for SmartThings. But since our product is Z-Wave Plus certified, it will work with all Z-Wave Hub/Gateways, unless the manufacturer has chosen to only work with select companies. We’ve tested and confirmed that this plug works with Vera and Wink.
Plug In Lamp(s)/Appliance(s)
Before plugging in your module, please plug in the device(s) you are looking to control. In addition, make sure that both devices together do not equal more than 10 Amps.
Again, please make sure you have a Z-Wave compatible HUB/Gateway, or this will not work.
Plug In the Module & Exclude (Optional)
You are now ready to plug in your module and start to sync to your selected Z-Wave Hub/Gateway.
Before we start the official syncing (including) process, we are going to go over how to exclude a device. This step is optional, but we like to do it with any new Z-Wave device we get/test, just to make sure. The excluding process is like a reset, and it’s helpful if you bought the device used, or if there is an issue with your HUB/Gateway. Plus, it doesn’t hurt!
- Open up your SmartThings app
- Click on the three arrows in the top right of your app (menu)
- Click on, “Hub is Online”
- Click on, “Z-Wave Utilities”
- Click on, “General Device Exclusion”
- Push on the Middle Button on the front of your NZW37 3-5 times within 3 seconds
- You should now see that your device is excluded — please move on to Step 4
Adding (Including) to the Network & Completing the Setup Process
Once you’ve finished the Exclusion Process (or if you’ve skipped it) it’s time to include your Z-Wave device to your network.
- If you’ve excluded, press the back button, and then the “x” until you are back at the, “My Home” screen where you can see the, “Add a Thing” button (note: if you have a lot of devices, you will have to scroll down to the bottom)
- Press, “Add a Thing” and it will automatically start looking for devices
- Press the Middle Button on the front of your NZW37 3-5 times within 3 seconds to activate inclusion
- You should now see that your device is detected
Setup After Inclusion
- After your device was detected, press, “Save” (or if you’d like to rename your device, you can do that and then click, “Save”)
- Once you click, “Save” a pop up will appear asking you to, “Confirm Paired Devices” — Click, “OK”
- Now you are back at the, “My Home” screen and you will see the “master” switch on the screen
(NOTE: Keep following the directions below — we will add in your two (2) other individual switches)
- Click on, “Marketplace” and scroll down to the, “More” section and click it
- Scroll down about halfway and select, “Multi-Channel Control”
- Select the device you’d like to use (the device you just set up — also, you can skip, “Assign a Name” and “Set for Specific Mode(s)) and click, “Done”
- You should see a green box that you, “Successfully added Multi-Channel Control”
On your, “My Home” screen under, “Things”, you should see your switch, along with two end-points. Feel free to change the end-point names to whatever you have plugged into it.
To change the endpoint names, do the following:
- Click on, “Switch Endpoint 1”
- Click on the gear icon in the top right of the screen
- Click on, “Edit Device”
- Name it whatever you’d like
Repeat the above for, “Switch Endpoint 2” and you’re all set. Now, lets finish this process by making your main switch simultaneously control your two individual switches.
Please proceed to, “Step 5”.
Making the 3rd (Main) Switch a, “Master” Switch to Control Lights Simultaneously
You may have noticed that when you synced your NZW37, it created three separate switches. This is normal. However, the current software setup has the main switch (not the Switch Endpoints) only controlling the right outlet (if you’re facing the front of the outlet).
To turn this main switch into a switch that can control both Switch Endpoints, here’s what you need to do.
- Click, “Marketplace”
- Click, “Lights & Switches”
- Click, “Smart Lights”
- When it asks what lights you want to control, Click on the Endpoint Switches (ie: Switch Endpoint 1 and Switch Endpoint 2)
- Leave, “What do you want to do?” as “Turn On”
- Tap, “Select Trigger”, then “Switch”
- Tap, “Which switch?” and then select your Main Switch (the one you originally named)
- Leave, “Turn on Lights when” to “Turned On”
- Make sure the, “Turn off as well” is selected
- Click, “Done” and you should now be able to control both lights simultaneously.
Congratulations, you now have the ability to control two switches individually as well as simultaneously!
Below you will find our full installation videos for the Plug-In Module. Just as a note, at this time we only have installation videos for SmartThings (Wink & Vera coming shortly). As stated above, our Plug-In Module is Z-Wave Plus Certified, so it will work with any Z-Wave enabled Hub. However, some Hubs/Gateways choose to only partner with certain companies. If you have a Hub outside of these three that we’ve recorded and would like to contribute to our page by either writing up a tutorial or shooting a video, we would love to compensate you so that others can benefit. Please click the, “contact us” link at the bottom of the page and let us know. Thank you for your purchase and we hope you enjoy your product!