Zigbee Technology: What Is It and Why You Need to Know About It
Zigbee technology is a wireless communication protocol used for smart home devices and other applications. It operates in the 2.4GHz frequency band and uses mesh networking to connect devices. Why do you need to know about Zigbee? Because it's becoming more and more popular, and is likely to be a part of your life in the near future! What can you do with Zigbee? Quite a lot, actually. Read on to learn more!
What is Zigbee?
Zigbee is a wireless communication standard that helps connect devices wirelessly. It can be used for various purposes such as home automation, remote control, lighting control, and sensor networks. Zigbee operates in the unlicensed industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) radio bands at 900 MHz and at 2400 MHz frequencies. What sets Zigbee apart from other wireless technologies is its mesh networking capability. This means that each Zigbee device can act as a repeater, forwarding signals to other devices in the network.
History of Zigbee
The history of Zigbee dates back to 1998 when a group of engineers from different companies came together to develop a wireless technology that would be suitable for low-power digital radios. The group was initially called the Zigbee Alliance, and later changed its name to the Zigbee Alliance in 2004. The first version of the Zigbee protocol was released in 2003, and since then, the technology has undergone several updates. The latest version, Zigbee PRO 2017, was released in December 2017.
The Zigbee Alliance
The Zigbee Alliance is an association of more than 400 companies that develop, manufacture, and market products using the Zigbee technology. The alliance promotes the interoperability of Zigbee products and defines the Zigbee standards. Some of the well-known companies that are members of the Zigbee Alliance include Philips, Samsung, Honeywell, and Texas Instruments.
Benefits of Zigbee
There are several benefits of Zigbee technology, which is why it is becoming increasingly popular. Some of the benefits include:
- Low power consumption: Zigbee devices can run on batteries for a long time. For example, a Zigbee sensor can last for up to two years on a single AA battery.
- Easy to set up: Zigbee devices are easy to set up and use. You don't need to be a tech expert to use them.
- Reliable: Zigbee devices are reliable and can work even in difficult conditions.
- Interoperability: Zigbee devices from different manufacturers can work together.
Applications of Zigbee
Zigbee technology can be used for various purposes, such as:
- Home automation: You can use Zigbee to control your lights, thermostat, and other devices in your home.
- Remote control: Zigbee can be used to remotely control devices such as cameras and TVs.
- Lighting control: Zigbee can be used to dim your lights or turn them off and on.
- Sensor networks: Zigbee can be used to create sensor networks for various applications such as monitoring environmental conditions.
As you can see, Zigbee is a versatile technology with a lot of potential applications. Check out our Blue Series products to get started with Zigbee today!